|The league is made up of sixteen teams in four divisions. Each team is made up of four players placed, one in each A, B, C and D flight. Every week, one team is scheduled to compete against another team in a 10 point match. The players compete against their opponent, in their flight, in a match-play contest as well as stroke play. All golfers are handicapped and new handicaps are calculated each week, prior to competition. All points earned by individuals and teams are totaled for each team. At the end of the season, the team with the highest point total from each of four divisions will qualify for the playoffs. The four highest scoring teams will qualify for the playoffs of the remaining twelve as wildcards based on season point totals. |
All players will tee-off from the blue tees at the MPPD Golf Club.
USGA and local club rules govern all play except as noted within these by-laws. Any rules dispute should be brought to the attention of the league rules advisor, and if necessary, will be decided by a majority board vote.
1. Players may improve the lie of a ball by two club heads lying in a divot, only within the fairway of the hole being played.
2. Balls hit out of bounds carry a penalty of one stroke. There are two options available in order to speed up play: a.) One stroke penalty with the option of the next stroke being taken two club lengths from the point where the ball went out of bounds or b.) player can elect to hit from the original spot with a one stroke penalty.)
3. A lost ball carries a penalty of one stroke (one stroke penalty and the next stroke should be played from a location approximate to where the ball was lost. For Out of bounds, see rule # 2.
4. A ball in a sand trap resting in an unnatural condition of the trap may be lifted, surface raked, and the ball rolled into the same area with no penalty.
5. Putts may be conceded only by the player's opponent.
6. In the Playoffs and Championship round, no putts will be conceded, all players must putt out.
1. Individual points are awarded in each match on the following basis:
a.) One point for the most holes won on a match-play basis. Ties split the points. (4 point maximum per team)
b.) One point for the lowest net score on a medal-play basis. Ties split the points. (4 point maximum per team)
c.) One point for the lowest individual net score within the 8 man match. (Team Vs. Team competition)
2. Team points are awarded on the following basis:
a.) One point for lowest team net score. Ties split the points.
3. Matches with no-shows or substitutes are subject to the following rules:
a.) There is a 9 stroke limitation on handicap differential
in all flights, A,B,C,D.
b.) There should be an attempt by substitutes to match up
with a regular member with similar handicaps (by flight).
c.) Due to the 9 stroke limitation, no player will receive more
than one stroke per hole.
d.) Any regular member who refuses to play an available
alternate will be subject to forfeiture of points
regardless of handicap differential.
1. Each golfer's handicap will be based on the lowest five (5) of his last ten (10) adjusted league scores. If less than ten (10) rounds have been played in this league, handicaps will be computed based on the following number of rounds: lowest 1of 1, 1 of 2, 2 of 3, 2 of 4, 3 of 5, 3 of 6, 4 of 7, and 4 of 8 or 9, and 5 of 10 rounds.
2. The handicap computed by this league is not an index, and therefore does need to be adjusted for play at Mount Prospect Golf Club. Handicaps will be computed weekly.
3. Equitable Stroke Control (ESC) will be used to adjust league scores for handicap purposes only. Every score is capped to a specified number of strokes, for handicap purposes only as follows:
9-Hole Handicap Maximum score per hole
4 or less Double-Bogey
5 thru 9 7
10 thru 14 8
15 thru 19 9
20 thru 24 10
1. The decision to cease competition due to darkness or inclement weather must be agreed upon by your opponent or three of the four members of that foursome. Six holes must be completed for the match to be counted in scoring.
2. If half the league's matches have not completed at least six holes of play, all competition for that week will be post-poned No points will be awarded for that week's play.
3. In the case of inclement weather, league competition should begin if the golf course is officially open at the first tee-time or unless canceled by a board vote.
Anyone caught not paying green fees or violating MPPD policy is subject to termination from the league with no refund of fees paid.
Anyone caught cheating, depending on the evidence presented, is subject to forfeiture of match regardless of the score. If this is a recurring problem, the member may be subject to termination from the league with no refund of fees paid.
The board by vote, can elect to terminate a member at will, depending on the evidence presented, if that member is proven to be a recurring violator of the rules or demonstrates conduct that is considered harmful to the league or its image.
1. Each player is responsible for finding a substitute if they cannot play. Any player may call the course to notify his opponent that he will be late and still arrive by 5:30 P.M. Otherwise, players are considered no-shows if they do not call or arrive by 5:15 P.M. If a player does not arrange for an alternate and there are no substitutes available at the course to fill in his match, that player shall forfeit his match.
2. Any member who is a no-show three times in one season will be subject to dismissal from the league and forfeit any paid fees.
1. A member unable to play shall obtain a substitute of a similar handicap from the substitute list. If the member is unable to obtain an substitute, he may call the golf course at 847-259-4200 (before 5:15 P.M.) asking for an substitute. If no substitutes are available for his match, the member shall forfeit his match.
2. Substitutes shall sign-In on a sheet at the course which will allow members to fill their matches. Each member is responsible to check the sign-in sheet to find themselves an appropriate opponent in the event that their regularly scheduled opponent has called or not shown up by 5:15 P.M. If there are substitutes available (even if their handicaps are not similar), there shall be no forfeits and a match must be played.
3. Substitutes shall be chosen from the sign-in sheet by similar handicap, then by order on the list. Any members present shall assist in pairing up substitutes with those who need an opponent. This is a new rule, which should achieve the goal of having 32 matches each week and avoiding unnecessary forfeitures.
4. In the event that no substitutes are available to fill in for a no-show, then the scorecard shall be time-stamped in the snack area at 5:15 P.M. (or 5:30 P.M. if the opponent has called) and submitted for scoring. Any member who does not have an opponent is not required to play.
5. Substitutes can only compete in one match per week.
6. Substitutes can only compete in the skins game if they have a match. Substitutes playing without a match will have their scores count toward their handicap only.
1. There shall be four division winners. Division winners are decided by total team points scored for the season. If there is a tie between one or more teams, the tie will be broken in the following order:
a. Most points scored in head-to-head competition.
b. Lowest net team strokes in head-to-head competition.
c. Team Won/Loss record in team competition (based on points scored in individual weeks).
2. There shall be four 'wildcard' playoff teams. The four highest scoring teams are chosen from the twelve teams left after the division winners are selected. The wildcard tiebreakers are the same as above in (1.) above.
3. The playoffs shall be seeded as follows. The eight qualifying playoff teams are seeded based on total points scored. The first tie breaker is head-to-head points, the second tie breaker is head-to-head team net strokes. The third tie breaker is won/loss record in team competition. (based on points scored in individual weeks). The round of playoffs shall consist of a regular 10 point match according to the following schedule:
Seed # 1 vs. Seed # 8
Seed # 2 vs. Seed # 7
Seed # 3 vs. Seed # 6
Seed # 4 vs. Seed # 5
4. Substitution for a regular member shall be made as follows:
a.) From regular members within a three-stroke differential (or if that is not possible, within the same flight).
b.) If necessary, substitutes who have played a minimum of ten league rounds during the season, provided the handicap of the alternate does not differ from the handicap of the absent player, by six (6) or more strokes.
5. Playoff matches resulting in a tie shall be won by the team scoring the lowest team net, followed by the seed number (e.g., If Seed #3 ties Seed #6 in points during the playoff match, the first tiebreaker shall be team net score. If the team net score is tied, Seed #3 would advance).
6. The final playoff championship is an eighteen hole round of golf, grouping the four flights. The order of the flights shall be determined prior to the championship round. The championship will be a stroke-play only contest. Any ties are broken by the playoff seed number. The higher seed shall win any ties.
Substitution shall be made from:
a.) The regular members within the flight not qualifying for the
b.) If necessary, substitutes who have played a minimum of ten
league rounds during the season provided the handicap of
the alternate does not differ from the handicap of the
absent player by six (6) or more strokes.
7. The expense of greens fees for the championship will be the responsibility of the individual player unless it coincides with the year end league banquet. Green fees for the year end league banquet are paid by the league for all regular members.
The following criteria will be used in choosing any new regular members.
Priority will be given to following:
1.) Past Regular Members from the previous season (Grand
fathered regardless of where living - automatic re-entry rights
for the new season).
2.) Past Regular members who became alternates for a
period of one year and who live in the MPPD district and are
members of St. Raymond's.
3.) Past Substitutes who live in the MPPD district and are
members of St. Raymond's.
4.) Past Substitutes who live in the MPPD district only.
5.) Any other interested golfers who live in the MPPD district and
are members of St. Raymond's.
6.) Any other interested golfers who live in the MPPD district only.
7.) Any other interested golfer.
8.) Regular members who do not have dues paid in full by the
terms of the sign-up period, risk that they may fall to
Paragraph #7 and not be included for the new season. This
is to ensure an orderly process for compilation of league
roster, calculation of handicaps and flight assignments.
It is the responsibility of all members to pay the required dues as set
each year by the board in a timely manner as set by the board. Any
member not meeting these requirements may be subject to forfeiture
of membership at the boards discretion. Once the season has started,
(league kickoff meeting) no refunds will be allowed for any reason. If
prior to the season starting, any member decides to resign from the
league, the return of dues will be determined by the board.
All League members present will elect league officers at a date decided upon by the board, but no later than by the end of season league banquet by either open vote or by concealed ballot, whichever is decided upon by the Board prior to the vote. Nominations will be accepted up to one month prior to the vote by any regular member wishing to be a board member for the following year.
League officers shall serve on the board for a minimum of two years in order to insure consistency and experience. No more than half the board members will be elected in any given year.
If any officer resigns during the year, the president will appoint another regular member to serve out the remainder of the year.
The specific jobs and titles will be determined by the president at a board meeting prior to the season starting.
Past Presidents from the prior year will serve as advisors and will not be eligible to vote on any board matters or resolutions.